Informational Know Your Rights!

If you suspect your child has a disability that interferes with learning, you can ask to have your child tested by your school district at no cost to you. You can do this even if your child does not attend public school.
You can see your child’s school records and get a copy of the school records at no cost to you. If your child’s school records contain incorrect or misleading information, you can ask to have the information corrected.
When your child is evaluated for special education, the school must explain the tests your child has been given. If you disagree with the school’s evaluation, you can ask for additional testing or an independent evaluation at no cost to you.
You must be treated as a full and equal member of your child’s Committee on Special Education (CSE). You should be included in every decision involving your child’s special education.
If you disagree with decisions affecting your child’s special education, you have many rights, including the right to mediation and due process.


New York State special education department

(National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities) ( Phone:1-800-695-0285.

(Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities) ( a division of the New York State Education Department.

WRIGHTSLAW: Parents, educators, advocates, and attorneys come to Wrightslaw for accurate, reliable information about special education law, education law, and advocacy for children with disabilities.

OPWDD:  NYS Office for People With Developmental Disabilities

Revocation of Parental Consent

MESSAGE/s FROM Lynette Abruzzo, Director of Pupil Personnel Services