May School Report
May is here, and Spring has sprung! With May comes the nice weather and the end of the school year approaching. We have some great things coming up.
I would first like to thank Jen Soper for her assistance in helping me begin the first phase of painting the Map of the USA on our blacktop. It looks great! The kids have already begun to play with it. We would like to do a phase two, where we will paint a boarder, touch up any spots needed and possibly label the states. If anyone is interested, please e-mail me at email@example.com If we do not get volunteers, we will not be able to complete the next phase. All help is appreciated.
Staff Appreciation Luncheon
SAVE THE DATE- Monday, May 22
Monday, May 22 Locust will be holding their annual Staff Appreciation Luncheon. We are looking for all kinds of volunteers. We will need a staff of people to set up, clean up and serve. If you can’t volunteer your time, there are other ways to help. This will allow you to donate to this wonderful event. Below is a link to the Sign Up Genesis. Please log on and see where you can help out!
Volunteer Needed for Site Based Committee
Locust School is seeking a responsible candidate to sit on the Site Based Committee for the 2017-2019 school years.
What is Site Base Committee?
The purpose of school-based planning and shared decision-making is to improve the educational performance of all students in our schools. The PTA is responsible for selecting the PTA parent members to serve on the district’s Site-Based committees. If selected for this committee, you will work directly with administrators, teachers, students, and parents addressing issues that may arise at the school level. If you are interested in serving on this committee, please complete the application at http://bit.ly/site-based.
To learn more, please visit the Site-Based page on the PTA website: http://www.gardencitypta.org/committee_info/site_based
First Grade PTA Trip
Thank you to the PTA for sponsoring a wonderful trip for our first graders. On April 5, the first grade attended Earthbeat- Vanaver Caravan, at Colden Auditorium- Queens College. The performance featured traditional and original dances from around the world and rhythms that different people have evolved to express their need to harmonize with the earth. This show was great. It was very child-friendly and held the children's attention. The constant change in dance, costume, and music, kept them engaged and attentive. Thank you to all parents who were able to help chaperone this educational trip for our children.
A Big Thank you to the PTA for an additional grant to bring Yoga back into our school. With the help of the PTA, we are able to bring this much loved, Yoga program back to Locust this Spring! First grade will have yoga on May 5. Kindergarten will have a session May 16. The children are so excited to be able to participate in this program again! Thank you for your support of PTA. Your membership and support of our fundraisers make these programs possible.
Join Us and Celebrate at our last PTA Meeting of the year!
Wednesday, May 31st at 9:30 am. There will be information about ways to get involved next year and year-end reports from our Principal and me. Come and enjoy a thank you breakfast on the PTA.
We are still collecting Box Tops for Education. Thank you to all those whose have been sending these in throughout the year. Please keep them coming. This is a great way to money for our school. Be on the look out for a new Box Top sheet that will be coming home in the children's folders.
Important Upcoming Dates in May
- Monday 5/2- Annual General PTA meeting, Garden City Public Library at 7 pm
- Friday 5/5- Yoga, first grade
- Monday 5/8- First Grade Spring Sing 9:15 am
- Tuesday 5/9- Kindergarten Spring Sing 9:15 am
- Tuesday 5/9- Board of Education Meeting 8:15 pm High School: Long-term Financial Planning
- Wednesday 5/10- Incoming 2nd Grade Orientation (Students Only) 9:30 am
- Wednesday 5/10- Open House 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Tuesday 5/16- Budget Vote ****Please get out and VOTE**** 6 am – 10 pm GCHS
- Tuesday 5/16- Board of Education Meeting 8:15 pm High School: High School Start Time Committee findings presented to the Board of Education
- Tuesday 5/16- Yoga, kindergarten
- Friday 5/19- Staff Appreciation Luncheon Set-Up 3 pm - 4 pm
- Monday 5/22- Staff Appreciation Luncheon
- Thursday 5/25- Incoming Kindergarten Orientation 1:15 pm
- Friday 5/26- School In Session
- Monday 5/29- School Closed in Observance of Memorial Day
- Wednesday 5/31- PTA Meeting and Thank you Breakfast 9:30 am
As always, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to reach out! firstname.lastname@example.org
PTA Director Locust School