Welcome to March! It is hard to believe we are already in our 7th month of the school year. Spring is within our grasp. We had a very informative and fun February at Homestead School. The children also enjoyed learning about that fickle Groundhog, sharing their Valentine’s with their classmates and participating in the 100th day of school activities!
On February 7th, Homestead School hosted a Joint Primary School PTA meeting. Our PARP “Pick A Reading Partner” committee presented explaining what PARP is, what activities and events are planned, and how we can support our children throughout the month of March. Also, representatives from the High School Starting Time Steering Committee (Gina Donovan, Hemlock PTA Director and PTA Parent Representative and Audrey Bellovin, Hemlock Principal) spoke on the District’s research into changing the HS start time. The representatives discussed the Steering Committee’s current findings and proposals. Please see the meeting’s draft minutes and read the “In the Spotlight” section in PTA’s March Newsletter for more information. Also at this meeting, our general membership approved $11,585 in grants to our primary schools. See Important Dates for March for another Homestead PTA Grant membership vote. Thank you for your support of PTA.
We have some exciting things taking place in March. On March 1st, the Primary School Reflections Award Ceremony will be held at Hemlock School at 6:30 pm. Celebrate your child or your child’s classmates! Thank you to Deepa Rajpal who ran this program for us at Homestead and to Jigisha Motwani who will be taking over next year! ** See below for the complete list of Homestead’s Reflection winners.
It is finally here…an event NOT to be missed! Our Annual PTA dinner will be held at the Garden City Hotel on Thursday, March 23rd. This is a fun-filled night out with your friends, husbands as well as your favorite administrators and teachers! Buy your Dinner Ticket by March 9th to be entered in a special raffle.
Dinner and Grand Raffle Tickets can be purchased now, click here: http://bit.ly/TheAnnualDinnerTickets. Grand Raffle tickets can also be purchased at all Parent Teacher Conferences.
We have open PTA Executive Board positions for next year. We truly appreciate your help selecting candidates for the following positions: President-Elect, Vice President Communication, Treasurer, Secretary, and School Directors: High School and Stewart School. To learn more about these positions or to nominate yourself or a potential candidate please contact, Pat Aprigliano at email@example.com or click here, http://bit.ly/GCPTAMake-A-Nomination.
Order your child's September school supplies ONLINE in March! Save time & money with quality products. Custom packed for your child's classroom. Avoid summer shopping hassles: No crowds, traffic, or guesswork. Online order dates: March 6, 2017 – April 21, 2017. http://bit.ly/GCPTASchoolSupplies.
Be on the lookout for the flyer in your child’s backpack with all of the details and online order instructions. Supplies will be available for you to pick up on Saturday, June 3, 2017, at the Garden City Middle School Cafeteria from 9am-2pm.
Important Upcoming Dates in March
- It’s PARP month! Look for the schedule of activities and events in your child’s backpack!
- Wednesday 3/1 - PARP Pep Rally at the GC Library at 4-5pm. Space is limited, so if you are interested, please register at GCPL_Events scroll down to March 1st events.
- Wednesday 3/1 - Primary Reflections Awards Ceremony, 6:30 pm, Hemlock School
- Thursday 3/2 - HS PTA meeting at 9:15 am. Learn more and vote for PTA Grant to Homestead School ($1,526.21) for Beebots and STEAM accessories for our school. This is another chance to hear the HS Starting Time Steering Committee Presentation and voice your concerns.
- Wednesday 3/8 - No School Parent/Teacher Daytime Conferences
- Thursday 3/9 - Parent/Teacher Evening Conferences
- Tuesday 3/14 - Board of Education Budget Work Session #3: Instructional Components Part 1: Meeting at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- Friday 3/17 - Primary Report Cards
- Tuesday 3/21 - Board of Education Budget Work Session #4: Instructional Components Part 2: Meeting at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- Thursday 3/23 - Wish, Believe, Achieve - The Annual Dinner, Presented by the Garden City PTA, 6:30 pm.
Look ahead in April
- TBD Joint PTA Meeting at Hemlock School
- Tuesday 4/4 - Board of Education Budget Work Session #5, if needed Meeting at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- Monday 4/10- 4/17 - No School Spring Break
- Thursday 4/20 – Regular Board Meeting, 2017-18 School Budget Adoption, Meeting at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- Friday, 4/21 – School Supplies Online Order ends
Hopefully, everyone saw the recent e-blasts from Janet Maas and Krista Irwin. We need library volunteers for our remaining dates! Please visit the sign up to see where you can help out at bit.ly/HomesteadLibrary . Remember we continue to collect Box Tops reach our goal of $1,000 by the end of the school year. Let your children go on a treasure hunt for Box Tops in your pantry!
We have exciting news! Our Decorations Committee will be painting a large map of the United States onto the Homestead playground in the spring. Our children will enjoy for years to come. This project is funded by the Garden City PTA.
We continue to need plastic spoons and forks for the cafeteria. Please consider buying a small box of either and sending it in with your child.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to reach out!
Jennifer Sullivan, Homestead PTA Director
**2016/17 Homestead Reflections Winners: Literature: 1st Place Laila Rajpal, 2nd Place Delaney McNaboe, 3rd Place Anjali Motwani, Honorable Mentions Vivian Hu, Riya Motwani and Letao Tao. Photography: Riya Motwani*, 2nd Place John David Scianablo, 3rd Place Anjali Motwani, Honorable Mention Liam Rogers and Laila Rajpal. Visual Arts: 1st Place Ryan Schmidt, 2nd Place John David Scianablo, 3rd Place Delaney McNaboe, Honorable Mentions Kate Davis, Alexandra Butvick and Ruby Murphy. *Artists' entry has been advanced to the Nassau Region PTA level.