How are we already in the month of May? It seems impossible! Weren’t we all just meeting our children’s new teachers and classmates? We may just have a couple of months left to the year, but they are jammed packed with a lot of important, fun activities and events! So since everyone is starting to get busy planning their summer vacations, joining pools/beach clubs and researching camps to keep the kids entertained, please be sure to read the May and June Homestead newsletters so as not miss anything important over the final 8 weeks!
It was a very busy April at Homestead. On April 3rd, we held our last Joint Primary PTA Meeting at Hemlock School. Mrs. Bellovin and Dr. Cannone gave an encore presentation of their Parent University Workshop, “Mathematics, Computational Thinking and Granola?” A fun time was had by all as we got to make a healthy and delicious granola snack to take home for our families to enjoy. A brief update was given on the High School Start Time Proposal. Please be sure to attend the district’s Community Forum regarding this proposed change on Monday, May 1st at GCHS auditorium. The potential changes will affect every family in the district. Become informed and have your voice heard! Finally, the principals and teachers discussed the homework policy at the primary schools. Suggestions were made to help parents navigate through their children’s homework woes. They reminded the parents to please contact their teacher with questions or issues with homework assignments.
Our 1st graders attended a performance of Earthbeats at the Kupferberg Center for the Arts on April 5th. This field trip was PTA sponsored. The performance featured traditional and original dances from around the world. The children, parent chaperones and staff really enjoyed the show. What a fun way for the children to learn about different cultures! I would like to thank our parent chaperones that helped make this educational trip a success.
Homestead’s Pennies for Patients Drive benefitting the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society concluded on April 7th. Our Homestead community raised $2,173.93 for this charity! Thank you, everyone, for your amazing generosity. I need to thank my parent volunteers who helped me deposit the collected coins. The coins were heavy, and somehow it down poured on most of the deposit dates! Thank you to Lauren and James Kennedy, Katie Rogers and Lisa Stratos.
Homestead’s Box Tops Coordinator, Krista Irwin, sent home a Box Tops collection sheet in the backpacks the week of, April 24th and everyone should have received an instructional email. The sheet has room for 25 Box Tops so let your children go on a scavenger hunt in your pantry and storage closets. I always get a bunch of Box Tops from General Mills cereal boxes, Yoplait yogurts, Ziploc bags and Scott’s paper goods (click here for full list of products). Please note that even after this Box Top activity is over, you can keep sending the Box Tops in through year-end and save them throughout the summer.
Our Homestead Staff Appreciation Luncheon will be held on Tuesday, May 23rd. Our school committee members, Lauren Kennedy and Deborah Donaghy, are busy planning this event. We are looking for all kinds of help. We will need a staff of people to set up, clean up and serve. If you can’t volunteer your time, there are other ways to help. Also, our children will be helping us decorate for the occasion. Around May 1st, they will come home with a flower craft in their backpacks. The decorated crafts will need to be returned around May 15th. They will be displayed in the multipurpose room for the luncheon. Please see the below link to the Sign Up Genius for all the different ways to donate to this wonderful event!
Click here: Homestead Staff Appreciation Sign Up Genius
Homestead’s Decorations committee has started their spring refresh of the halls! As everyone knows, this year they chose the book; It’s a Small World. The new craft is a cut out of a hand print which the children will be asked to decorate with the many ways they can help in this world. No matter how big or small. The children’s crafts will be displayed in their classrooms. Please have your child decorate their hand print and send back in a timely manner so that they can be enjoyed for the rest of the year!
Yoga is back at Homestead this spring thanks to a gift from the Garden City PTA! Our children will be attending yoga on one of three dates, May 30th, June 6th and June 7th. The school will be sending out more information shortly about when your children will need to bring in their yoga mats/towels and wear their yoga pants.
We need a new PTA Parent Site Based representative at Homestead next year. Thank you to the outgoing rep, Krista Irwin, for all her PTA years of service at Homestead School. What is Site Based Committee? The purpose of school-based planning and shared decision-making is to improve the educational performance of all students in our schools. The PTA is responsible for selecting the PTA parent members to serve on the district’s Site-Based committees. If selected for this committee, you will work directly with administrators, teachers, students, and parents addressing issues that may arise at the school level. Click here for the Site Based information page http://www.gardencitypta.org/committee_info/site_based If you are interested in serving on this committee, please complete the application in this link http://bit.ly/site-based .
Homestead School will also have various Board Positions open next year. I will advertise the open positions by our final Primary PTA Meeting and Thank You Breakfast on Tuesday, June 6th. Please take a look now at all the different Board Positions at Homestead School for additional ways to get involved! Click here and here for full list of PTA and School Committees.
In addition, if anyone has an interest in joining a district PTA committee, please contact me to discuss. I can get you in touch with the appropriate people. There is no shortage of ways to get involved with the PTA and in your children's’ schools!
Believe it or not, there are still a few open spots to volunteer at our school library to help our Mrs. Compton reshelve all the books that our children bring home. Let’s make sure the library is ready to go in the fall! Please visit the sign up to see what dates are open at bit.ly/HomesteadLibrary .
Finally, we continue to need plastic spoons and forks for the cafeteria. Please consider buying a small box of either and sending it in with your child.
Important Upcoming Dates in May
- Monday 5/1 - High School Start Time Update Community Forum at 7pm, GCHS
- Tuesday 5/2 - General PTA Meeting at 7pm in the Garden City Public Library
- Wednesday 5/3 - 1st Grade Homestead Spring Sing Concerts
- Thursday 5/4 - Kindergarten Homestead Spring Sing Concerts
- Thursday 5/4 - Parent Orientation for Incoming 2nd Grade at Stratford
- Tuesday 5/9 - Board of Education Work Session: Long-term Financial Planning at 8:15pm, GCHS
- Wednesday 5/10 - Homestead Open House at 6:30-7:30pm / Stratford Open House 7-8pm
- Tuesday 5/16 - Get Out and Vote for Our School Budget and Field Day Snack, GCHS Gymnasium
- Tuesday 5/16 - Board of Education Meeting at 8:15pm, GCHS: High School Start Time Committee findings presented to the Board of Education
- Tuesday 5/23 - Homestead Staff Appreciation Luncheon
- Thursday 5/25 - Current Kindergarten Early Dismissal, 12:20pm / Incoming Kindergarten Orientation, 1:15pm
- Friday 5/26 - School is Open Due to Snow Make Up Day
- Monday 5/29 - No School Memorial Day
A Look Ahead to our last month of the school year…June
- Saturday 6/3 - PTA School Supply Pick Up from 9 to 2pm at the GCMS Cafeteria
- Tuesday, 6/6 – PTA’s Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Event, Barnes & Nobel: Carl Place. Get your family’s summer reading and help our schools. In-store event will be held on Tuesday, June 6th and online event will take place June 6 - June 10
- Tuesday 6/6 - Final Homestead PTA Meeting and Thank You Breakfast
- Tuesday 6/6 - Board of Education Work Session at 8:15pm, GCHS
- Tuesday 6/13 - Board of Education Meeting at 8:15pm, GCHS
- Friday 6/16 - Homestead Kindergarten and 1st Grade Field Days (Rain Date 6/19)
- Tuesday 6/20 - Final Primary Report Cards
- Wednesday & Thursday 6/21-6/22 - Half Day for Primary Schools
- Friday 6/23 – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL Early Dismissal. Have a Wonderful Summer!
As always, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to reach out!
Jennifer Sullivan, Homestead PTA Director