March School Report
We have made it through the halfway mark of the school year, and we are now closer to Spring. February was a month filled with many activities in Hemlock. We celebrated the 100th day of school (twice). Our First graders had a wonderful assembly and wore t-shirts to celebrate the benchmark in the school year. Parents were in the school making crafts and admiring the beautiful homemade t-shirts on our students. Because of the dreadful snow day 2/9, the 100th day was celebrated by the whole school Tues 2/14 which was also Valentines Day. Spirits were high as the students exchanged Valentine cards and showed their 100-day collections.
If you missed our February 7th Joint Primary PTA Meeting, please read the DRAFT minutes. At this meeting, our membership approved PTA Grants to our primary schools, including Hemlock School, of $15,858. Because of your support of the Garden City PTA, Hemlock School will be receiving a SmartBoard for Mrs. Metrick’s classroom, six Osmo units, and one iPad Air to support the district’s STEAM initiative. These grants will enhance the curriculum and benefit all students in Hemlock School. Thank you to our membership.
Our Annual PTA dinner will be held at the Garden City Hotel on Thursday, March 23rd. It is finally here…an event NOT to be missed! This is a fun-filled night out with your friends, husbands as well as your favorite administrators and teachers! Buy your Dinner Ticket by March 9th to be entered in a special raffle.
Dinner and Grand Raffle Tickets can be purchased now, click here: http://bit.ly/TheAnnualDinnerTickets. Grand Raffle tickets can also be purchased at all Parent Teacher Conferences.
We have open PTA Executive Board positions for next year. We truly appreciate your help selecting candidates for the following positions: President-Elect, Vice President Communication, Treasurer, Secretary, and School Directors: High School and Stewart School. To learn more about these positions or to nominate yourself or a potential candidate please contact, Pat Aprigliano at email@example.com or click here, http://bit.ly/GCPTAMake-A-Nomination.
Order your child's September school supplies ONLINE in March! Save time & money with quality products. Custom packed for your child's classroom. Avoid summer shopping hassles: No crowds, traffic, or guesswork. Online order dates: March 6, 2017 – April 21, 2017. http://bit.ly/GCPTASchoolSupplies.
Be on the lookout for the flyer in your child’s backpack with all of the details and online order instructions. Supplies will be available for you to pick up on Saturday, June 3, 2017, at the Garden City Middle School Cafeteria from 9am-2pm.
Some upcoming dates for March:
- Pick A Reading Partner (PARP) will take place the whole month of March. As we discussed on Tues 2/7, our recent PTA meeting, this is a PTA Sponsored Program.
- March 1 - PARP Pep Rally at the GC Library at 4-5pm Space is limited, so if you are interested, please register at GCPL_Events scroll down to March 1st events.
- March 1- Primary Reflections Awards Ceremony, 6:30 pm, Hemlock School
- March 8- No School Parent/Teacher Conferences
- March 9- Parent/Teacher Conferences
- On March 11, there will be a conference for children and their families entitled "Brain Steam Ahead!" For those who have attended Family Math Day in the past, you will be happy to know that though the format has changed, it still will be a very exciting event. Our own Mrs. Bellovin will facilitate one of the sessions.
- March 14, Board of Education Budget Work Session #3: Instructional Components Part 1: Meeting at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- March 17, Primary Report Cards
- March 21, Board of Education Budget Work Session #4: Instructional Components Part 2: Meeting at 8:15 pm, GCHS
- March 23, Wish, Believe, Achieve - The Annual Dinner, Presented by the Garden City PTA, 6:30 pm.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to reach out! firstname.lastname@example.org,
PTA Director Hemlock