May School Report
April showers bring May flowers, and the same goes for Hemlock. We have been gathering supplies to get our First graders started with the garden soon. This year there is going to be planting indoors and transplanting outside in a few weeks. PTA continues to support this wonderful school program this year by providing funds for garden supplies. New this year – our first graders showing their expertise will teach the kindergarteners how to plant seeds. We are all very excited to begin.
At our Joint Primary PTA meeting on Wednesday, April 5 at Hemlock we were delighted with the turnout. Primary parents from the entire community were in attendance. We spoke about homework at the primary level, later start time for High School and the impact on our school, and we were treated to an incredible presentation by Mrs. Bellovin and Dr. Canone ‘Mathematics, Computational Thinking and Granola?’. Every person in attendance left with their own delicious granola and a better understanding of the importance of cooking with your children.
Thank you to the PTA for sponsoring a wonderful trip for our first graders. On April 5, the first grade attended Earthbeat at the Kupferberg Center for the Arts. The performance featured traditional and original dances from around the world and rhythms that different people have evolved to express their need to harmonize with the earth. This show was great. It was very child-friendly and held the children's attention. The constant change in dance, costume, and music, kept them engaged and attentive. Thank you to all parents who were able to help chaperone this educational trip for our children.
A Big Thank you to the PTA for an additional grant to bring Yoga back into our school. With the help of the PTA, we can once again offer the much-loved Yoga program at Hemlock this May. The children are so excited to be able to participate in this program again! Thank you for your support of PTA. Your membership and support of our fundraisers make these programs possible.
Our staff appreciation event will take place on Thursday, May 18th. Join us as we celebrate the hard work and important contributions of our Hemlock teachers and staff. Our Staff Appreciation Committee has planned a wonderful event, but this lunch could not be possible without the generosity of our Hemlock families. The Committee has prepared a SignUpGenius outlining the different opportunities to participate - there is something to fit every culinary level and budget Click here to participate.
Final PTA Meeting
Join us for our final PTA Meeting of the year on Monday, May 22nd at 9:30 am. We will have some light refreshments to say thank you to all who volunteered this year.
Get More Involved!
If you are interested in getting more involved next year, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Upcoming Dates in May
- Monday 5/2- Annual General PTA meeting, Garden City Public Library at 7 pm
- Friday 5/5- Yoga, first grade
- Thursday 5/11- First Grade Spring Sing 9:15 am and 10:45
- Friday 5/12- Kindergarten Spring Sing 9:15 am and 10:45
- Tuesday 5/9- Board of Education Meeting Work Session: Long-term Financial Planning, 8:15 pm High School
- Wednesday 5/10- Incoming 2nd Grade Orientation (Students Only) 9:30 am
- Wednesday 5/10- Open House 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Tuesday 5/16- School Budget Vote ****Please get out and VOTE****Polls open 6 am – 10 pm GCHS
- Tuesday 5/16- Board of Education Meeting 8:15 pm High School: High School Start Time Committee findings presented to the Board of Education
- Thursday 5/18- Staff Appreciation Luncheon
- Monday 5/22- PTA Meeting and Thank you Breakfast 9:30 am
- Thursday 5/25- Incoming Kindergarten Orientation 1:15 pm
- Friday 5/26- School In Session
- Monday 5/29- School Closed in Observance of Memorial Day
As always, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to reach out! email@example.com,
PTA Director Hemlock