March School Report
March is a busy month at Stratford School!
Great PTA sponsored events are happening this month:
- March 13th - 5th-grade field trip to the Metropolitan Opera to see Ludwig Van Beethoven’s “Fidelio".
- March 15th - PTA Joint Elementary Reflections Awards to be held at Stratford School, 7:00 pm.
- March 23rd - Wish, Believe, Achieve, The Annual Dinner at the Garden City Hotel. Don’t miss this great event to celebrate our community. Ask a friend, spouse or parents in your child's class to join you on the 23rd. Dinner and Grand Raffle Tickets can be purchased now, click here: http://bit.ly/TheAnnualDinnerTickets. Dinner Guests registered by March 9th will be entered into a special raffle. Grand Raffle tickets can be purchased at all Parent-Teacher Conferences.
And crazy as it may sound it’s that time of year again to order your School Supplies, not only do you save time by ordering through the PTA, you also support the schools.
School Supplies online order dates: March 6, 2017 – April 21, 2017. Be on the lookout for the flyer in your child’s backpack with all of the details and online order instructions or click here to http://bit.ly/GCPTASchoolSupplies. School Supplies will be available for you to pick up on Saturday, June 3, 2017, at the Garden City Middle School Cafeteria from 9am-2pm.
Our next Stratford PTA meeting will be on Monday, March 20th at 9:30 am, at Stratford School.
If you missed, our Joint Elementary Meeting held on February 14th, click to read the DRAFT minutes. At this meeting, our membership approved PTA Grants to our elementary schools totaling $6,955. Because of your support of the Garden City PTA, the following grants were possible:
- Staff development and training in Mindfulness will be provided to our Elementary Social Worker and two Stratford teachers. This training will then be used during staff development to bring awareness to the benefits of mindfulness daily practice in classrooms.
- All Stratford third graders will be going on an outdoor STEAM field trip led by experienced naturalists, are aligned with Common Core, Next Generation Science Standards, and 21st Century Skills as appropriate, and ensure that our students will make connections to science education. These grants will enhance the curriculum and benefit all students. Thank you to our membership.
- Ballroom Dancing Program to support a ballroom dancing program for all 5th-grade students in both Stewart and Stratford Schools. Professional ballroom instructors would incorporate the program into physical education classes and lead the classes. The program and its curriculum are intended to support inclusion. The Ballroom Dancing Program is a joint effort between GCPS, PTA, and SEPTA.
Here are some opportunities for you to help at Stratford
- Come by and help re-shelve books at the Stratford Library, this frees up the librarian’s time so she can help the students to pick out engaging and appropriate books. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090c48a5aa2aa2fe3-stratford
- Send in your Box Tops, the money we receive from the box tops goes to buying recess equipment…who doesn’t get excited about new toys?!
Kimberly Fellingham, Stratford PTA Director